Wisdom tooth extraction is an intense dental procedure. But as if the swelling and discomfort weren’t enough after the surgery, you’re tasked with being extremely cautious about the new stitches on your gums.
Given the size of wisdom teeth, most extraction surgeries end up in stitches. This keeps the empty socket from drying out and allows the gum hole to close in time. However, taking care of these stitches can be tiresome. The smallest mistake can result in your wisdom teeth stitches hanging like party streamers in your mouth.
But don’t worry! If you don’t want a piece of thread sliding aimlessly in your mouth, keep on reading this blog.
Why Are My Wisdom Teeth Stitches Hanging?
The thing about wisdom teeth stitches — besides the fact that they’re quite fragile — is that there are numerous ways that can irritate them. Usually, if your stitches are hanging loose, it can be a sign that the extraction site is about to heal. However, there can be other reasons as well, such as:
- The Suture Is Too Long
Sometimes the suture can be too long, causing one end of the thread to hang. This is not a problem and can easily be trimmed by you or your dentist.
- The Stitch Is Starting To DissolveIf your dentist used dissolvable stitches, chances are the thread is on its way to getting dissolved. Your gums will automatically absorb the thread, making it look like the stitch has come undone.
- The Thread Got Snagged During BrushingIt is essential to be very careful with the stitches. Sometimes, though, the bristles of your toothbrush can accidentally snag the thread, causing them to loosen and hang. In such a case, visit your dentist immediately.
- Your Gums Are Pushing The Thread Out
The moment your wisdom tooth is extracted, the gums below start their healing process. During this, it is completely normal for your body to rebel and push out the stitches, making it seem like they’re hanging. However, this signifies that the extraction site is almost healed.
- The Stitch Was Loose
Another reason for hanging wisdom teeth stitches is that they may have been loose from the beginning. That is to say, somewhere along the sewing process, the thread didn’t grip around your gums as tightly as it should have.
Here’s What To Do If Your Stitches Are Hanging In Your Mouth
The feeling of a slimy thread curling around in your mouth can be pretty irksome. But rather than yanking the thread out, follow the steps mentioned below to avoid harming the extraction site.
- Be very careful and gentle when brushing or flossing your teeth.
- Carefully cut off the excess thread.
- Consult your dentist before removing them, or get them professionally removed.
- If the stitches are dissolvable, wait it out.
- Visit your dentist for a checkup.
All in all, if your wisdom teeth stitches are hanging, it’s probably because they’re well on their way to recovery. However, if you think that something is definitely wrong with them or the loose thread is accompanied by pain or blood, contact your dentist immediately. For more information, reach out to Katy Cypress Oral Surgery at (281) 667-0607, or visit our clinic at 6155 N Fry Rd, suite 600, Katy, TX 77449, located next to Smoothie King.