Dental implants are basically artificial tooth roots. If you’ve had an issue with cavities or other tooth deterioration issues, dental implants are often recommended. Essentially, a screw-shaped implant is placed in your gums and bone. It bonds with the bone to create a sturdy mount. Afterward, a connector, also known as an abutment, is placed on the implant and is designed to hold a crown.
How Does it Work?
Bone needs stimulation to grow and a mouth that is missing one or more teeth does not provide that stimulation. This results in bone loss. If not taken care of, function issues can arise, and further deterioration of bone strength can include loss of the use of your jawbone. You can use dental implants for one tooth or several (called a bridge).
Why are Dental Implants Popular?
In addition to being an oral health issue, dental implants are often chosen due to multiple benefits.
- Long-lasting: dental implants last as long as any other tooth restoration procedure with proper care and maintenance.
- Reliable: sturdy replacement alternative to natural teeth.
- Natural look: Dental implants are designed to look, feel and function like natural teeth.
- High success rate: implant technology is advanced which lends to the high success rate of dental implants. As long as they are cared for properly, they should last for a long time.
- Improved functionality: bone strength is preserved, making eating, chewing and speaking a lot easier.
- Facial features: without the bone needed to support your teeth, your jawline could change. Having dental implants prevents bone deterioration and preserves your features.
Make it Work for You
Katy Cypress Oral Surgery and Implant Center has a team of professionals ready to help you! Call us today at 281-667-0607 and see how we can improve your smile.